I have been a long-time advocate for affordable housing in Oregon. I know how difficult it can be to find an affordable place to live, and that’s why I want to increase the availability of mixed income development as a means of providing more options to people of all economic backgrounds.
The benefits of mixed income developments:
- It strengthens neighborhoods and allows people to live near job centers and transportation options.
- Mixed-income housing also gives people access to better schools and more amenities, and helps develop a market for goods and services in surrounding businesses.
We can incentivize developers to build mixed income developments through a variety of different strategies:
- We can use direct grants.
- We can use tax abatement.
- We can use specialized zoning.
- We can fast track permitting.